It’s that time of year again when you are probably starting to think about what you can do to surprise your special someone on Valentine’s Day. Shades Shutters Blinds has compiled something just for that purpose. Want to know the best way to start Valentine’s Day? Breakfast in Bed. Your lover will never forget this delicious and unique breakfast serenade.
First up: Drinks.
Begin the morning with romance: make a Mimosa for your lover to start the day off with a sweet little “kick.” Tip: use a dry sparkling wine rather than a sweet one. And the fresher the orange juice, the better. (We recommend Simply Orange for those without time to squeeze oranges)
Read more tips on the perfect Mimosa at inspiredtaste.net.
Now for the energy boost: just cause it’s Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean your loved one won’t need their morning coffee! Go classy with French Press Coffee. Tip: Don’t overground the coffee and keep the water below a boil for best results.
Read more about brewing the most robust French Press Coffee at TheKitchn.
Now let’s get to the good stuff:
Healthy, Hearty Hashbrowns
You Will Need:
- Cooking Spray
- 1 ½ lbs of Potatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/3 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt (divided from the rest of the ingredients)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Peel the potatoes. Using a cheese grater, grate the potatoes into thin strips. Using your hands, squeeze as much water as you can from the potatoes. This will allow the potatoes to crisp up and reduce the risk of them becoming soggy. Use a fine mesh strainer and press the potatoes towards the bottom and let the water drain out.
- Once the excess water has been drained, transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, paprika, onions, and cheese.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring scoop, scoop out the potato mixture and place it on the baking sheet. Flatten slightly. The mixture should make 10 patties.
- Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove baking sheet from oven. The patties should be browned on the bottom. Flip each one over and flatten slightly.
- Return to oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove from oven. Sprinkle lightly with 1/2 tsp sea salt. Serve warm.
So you have the mimosa chilled and waiting in the refrigerator, the coffee will only take a few minutes to steep, and the hash browns are browning in the oven.
It’s time for the highlight of the breakfast- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes!
- 1-1/2 cup Cake Flour
- 1 Tablespoon (additional) Cake Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon (heaping) Baking Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1-1/2 cup Evaporated Milk (more If Needed)
- 1 whole Lemon (more If Needed)
- 1 whole Large Egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- Zest From 1 Lemon
- 1 cup Heaping Blueberries
- Extra Butter
- Maple Or Pancake Syrup
- Heat heavy skillet or grill over medium low heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix evaporated milk, juice of 1 lemon (more if lemon isn’t very juicy), and lemon zest. Allow to sit for five minutes, then add egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients. Stir gently to combine. Splash in more evaporated milk if mixture is overly thick. Stir in blueberries. Again, check to make sure mixture isn’t overly thick.
- Melt butter in heated skillet. Drop batter by 1/4 cup measures and fry pancakes on both sides until golden.
- Serve with softened butter and warm syrup.
Last but not least, The Finishing Touches.
Ladies: Check out our Valentine’s Day Pinterest Board board for all kinds of DIY “quick and easy” projects, like this printable to tie around the mimosa flute:
And Gentlemen: Never underestimate the powers of flowers!
Let us know how your Valentine’s Day Breakfast in Bed turns out! We hope your special someone “feels the love!” (At the very least they won’t feel hungry.)
Hash Brown Recipe : click here
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes: click here