Labor Day is the American holiday that separates the hot, carefree summer with the “Back to School” sentiment of the fall. Many Americans celebrate this day off of work with parties among friends and family, using one of the last days of summer for cooking out and basking in the soon-to-disappear sunshine.
Having a party but not sure what to do? Here are some last minute Labor Day party ideas that are sure to get your guests excited!
1. White Out – Many fashionistas will tell you that it’s in poor taste to wear white after Labor Day…so use this opportunity to whip out the white clothing for one last summer bash! Consider matching decor, all white with rustic influences for that down-home BBQ or perhaps all white decor with splashes of red and blue to nod at the American element of this holiday.
2. Red, White & Blue – If you aren’t sure what you’ll ever do with those leftover patriotic party favors from the Fourth of July, here’s your solution! Labor Day is an American holiday, so there’s an element of patriotism built into this day. Use it to your advantage and bust out the Fourth of July decor – it’s okay – we won’t tell on you!
3. Costume Party– Have your guests dress in costumes that reflect their dream jobs (in keeping with the Labor Day theme)- you’re bound to get some fun outfits like movie stars, astronauts, and more!
4. Food themes – Consider tying in some of the food offerings with the Labor Day theme – for example, offer “no bake cookies” (awesome recipe for them below), chicken & veggie kabobs (what’s easier than grilling meat and vegetables on a stick?) and make-your-own ice cream sundaes (let your guests work on Labor Day!). Remember, it’s these kind of details that will make your party stand out!
No Bake Cookies
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups oatmeal
In a heavy saucepan bring to a boil, the sugar, cocoa, butter and milk. Let boil for 1 minute then add peanut butter, vanilla and oatmeal. On a sheet of waxed paper, drop mixture by the teaspoonfuls, until cooled and hardened.
5. Labor Day Luau – Sick of red, white and blue? Stained your favorite white outfit? Host a Labor Day Luau, with tiki torches, Hawaiian music, and floral accents! What better way to celebrate the end of the summer than with this tropical, island – influenced theme? And you can offer this signature drink to those that are 21 and over:
Pineapple Mai Tai
4 oz orange juice
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz Rose’s lime juice
1 oz dark rum
1 oz light rum
1 oz triple sec
1/2 oz grenadine
Directions: to make this beverage, simply mix all ingredients together and stir.
And don’t forget to save this Labor Day! With all the sales happening as businesses try and clear out their summer merchandise, you’d be silly not to look for deals!