Here’s a simple spring recipe featuring fresh, light and vibrant ingredients; perfect for the longer days and warmer weather that’s ahead.
Casseroles aren’t only for the winter, and this recipe for a Spring Chicken one-pot filled with spring vegetables and pesto proves just that!
Spring Chicken in a Pot
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Serving size: Feeds 4 people
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 18 oz (500 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 11 oz (300 g) small new potatoes
- 14 1/3 oz (425 mL) low-salt vegetable stock
- 12 1/3 oz (350g) broccoli, cut into small florets
- 12 1/3 oz (350g) spring greens, shredded
- 5 oz (140g) petits pois (small green peas)
- bunch spring onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp pesto
Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan. Add the onion, gently fry for 5 mins until softened, add the chicken, then fry until lightly colored.
Add the potatoes, veggie stock and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, bringing them to a boil.
Cover, then simmer for 30 mins until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked. (Can be frozen at this point.)
Add the broccoli, spring greens, petit pois and spring onions, stir well, then return to boil. Cover, then cook for 5 mins more, stir in the pesto and heat through.
We hope you enjoy this spring recipe that’s sure to be as fresh and new as the weather outside!