It’s Independence Day! As we celebrate the founding of The United States of America across the nation, here are two quick, easy and fun Fourth of July recipes that will DAZZLE your friends and family but won’t take up your whole day. Brought to you by Shades Shutters Blinds.
4th of July Strawberries
What You’ll Need:
- Strawberries, washed and dried
- White chocolate
- Blue sugar, edible glitter, or sprinkles (blue sugar is shown in the picture)
Place blue sugar in a bowl. In a separate bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave on 50% power for two minutes. Stir until the bowl is no longer warm. Then microwave for 30 second intervals at 50% power, stirring after each, until the chocolate is completely melted. Dip the lower two thirds of the strawberries in the melted white chocolate. Then, dip the lower third of the strawberries in the blue sugar or spoon it onto the strawberry. Place on wax paper or Silpat until completely cool.
Recipe source: The Sisters Cafe
And the finishing act:
Fourth of July Jello “Firecracker” Shots (Version for Kids and Adults)
What You’ll Need:
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 package (3 oz.) JELL-O Berry Blue Flavor Gelatin
- 1 package (3 oz.) JELL-O Cherry Flavor Gelatin
- 1 envelope KNOX Unflavored Gelatine
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 20 maraschino cherries with stems, well drained, patted dry
- ADD 2/3 cup boiling water to berry gelatin mix in small bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Repeat with cherry gelatin mix. Cool.
- MEANWHILE, sprinkle unflavored gelatine over 1/4 cup milk in medium bowl; let stand 5 min. Bring remaining milk to boil in saucepan. Remove
- from heat; stir in sugar and vanilla. Add to plain gelatine mixture; stir until gelatine is completely dissolved. Cool 10 min.
- SPOON berry gelatin into 20 (1-oz.) plastic shot glasses sprayed lightly with cooking spray, adding about 2 tsp. to each. Refrigerate 15 min. or
- until set but not firm.
- TOP with unflavored gelatin mixture, adding about 2 tsp. to each cup. Refrigerate 10 min. Insert cherry, stem end up, into white gelatin layer
- in each cup. Refrigerate 2 min.
- COVER with cherry gelatin, adding about 2 tsp. to each cup. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Remove from cups before serving.
- Here’s two fabulous “adult” versions that will REALLY make these firecrackers pop!!
- Adults Only alcoholic Variation: Prepare as directed, reducing the boiling water to 1 cup and dissolving each of the berry and cherry gelatin mixes in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir 1/4 cup vodka into each flavor of gelatin, then continue as directed.
- Spiked Cherries Adults Only Variation: Place cherries in a glass jar. Add 1/2 cup vodka; cover with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate at least 2 hours; drain. Pat dry, then use as directed.
Recipe Source: At The Picket Fence